Sunday, August 16, 2009

Near Miss


Photo of me and the yellow tent I would eventually end the race in by Nikki Cyp
8.16.09 Downers Grove Criterium
Cat. 3 / 66th


As the pace kicked up on the final lap I found myself relegated to a twenty-something-ish position, and with opportunities to advance all but gone forever, I had begun accepting my fate. I would finish in the front end of the pack, perhaps even cracking into the high teens with a strong push to the line. That was the last thought I had before watching my life flash before my eyes as I narrowly avoided this crash. Two or three riders went down hard on turn five right in front of me and I had to quickly choose whether to 1) Join them on the ground; or 2) Hit the brakes and hope for the best as I sail into the yellow tent on the corner (filled with expensive bikes, wheels, etc., oh - and people too). Self-preservation rules the day as I lock up both brakes and try desperately to stay up on two skidding wheels. Rear wheel comes off the ground - okay - too much front brake. I cringe as I enter the wheel pit, knowing the odds are good that I'll kill someone or break something. Two Mavic reps jump out of my way, leaving a remarkably clear path through to the other side of the tent, where I finally come to a stop. Foot down, breathe again. Turn around, proceed back out of the tent and back onto the course. The whole episode lasts only a few seconds, but it's a lifetime in terms of the race and I'll be riding in alone - off the back. 66th wasn't my hope for the race but, all things considered, it's hard to complain. And, anyhow, it certainly makes for a better story than, "...and then I sprinted for 19th!"

1 comment:

  1. whoa...my adrenaline is pumping just reading about it! glad you weren't injured adam!

    ReplyDelete