Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Alpe d'Ski Hill

5.16.10 Fox River Grove Cycling Challenge
Cat. 3 / 15th


Of all the races I'll do this year, I think I was most looking forward to this one. I thought the short but severe Ski Hill Road climb would suit my strengths and I had visions of cash prizes and the elusive podium position. It would take quite a podium to accommodate 15 places, unfortunately.

For the first half of the race I felt good - I was suffering no doubt but, I figured, suffering in the usual way that everyone else was too. Here's a nice video of us stomping up the hill - while I could still breathe and see straight:



It soon became clear, however, that my suffering was not of the average variety and that I was doomed. With 4 to go I came undone, my legs no longer willing or able to carry me up the hill at the lead group's pace. As the leaders and the race drifted out of sight, I found a sustainable rhythm and a couple other dropped riders and pressed on.

I've heard it said that bike racing is all about managing your relationship with disappointment, and though that seems a bit heavy, I definitely had some managing to do after this one. And so it goes - disappointment becomes motivation; you keep working hard; then you come back and try again. And I'll definitely be back. I still love this race even though it beat me into submission this year.

1 comment: