Monday, May 17, 2010

Monsters

5.15.10 Monsters of the Midway
Cat. 3 / 6th


Flat and fast four-corner crit I knew was likely to end in a sprint. I wasn't particularly excited about that because I've felt a bit dejected recently about my lack of punch at the end of races, but what other option is there when the pace is near 30 mph for most of the race (I'm not exactly going to disappear off the front).

The final lap was as frenzied and tense as I've ever been a part of, as everyone drove for the front - pushing, shoving, swerving. In my peripheral vision I could see the makings of a crash, but we would be out of sight by the time we heard the half dozen or so bikes and bodies slamming to the ground. Coming around the final turn I was in a decent position, though already out of contention for the win. As we dove into the corner I could feel it - somebody's front wheel touching my rear wheel - which always ends the same way. I cringed as I heard him crash but quickly re-focused on the finish. I felt decent on the long straightaway and passed a few riders on my way to 6th place - well behind the top guys. As we cooled down, paramedics tended to bloodied riders while they inspected the damage to their expensive toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment