Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Drag Race

5.2.10 Vernon Hills Grand Prix
Cat. 3 / 6th

I was looking forward to Vernon Hills because, as a short and straightforward criterium, it would make for a good test of my sprint. If it stayed together I knew I'd have a chance to see what happens when I save myself for the finish and then have a go at it - and the race played out perfectly for that to happen. Burnham was well represented so they shot guys off the front throughout the race but nobody got away and we were together coming in to the final few laps. I positioned myself well in the final lap, 6th or 7th wheel. As we approached the final turn I moved up on the inside toward the front, which in hindsight was a bit hasty as the finishing straight was long and into the wind. Nevertheless, as two riders came by on my left I grabbed their wheels and we stood to sprint. I neither gained nor lost ground at that point - I just sort of maintained my position through the sprint for 6th place. Fun and safe race...just wish I was a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment